Q: A couple of years ago I got a tarot reading that said I will die when I turn (her age now). I’m so worried that something terrible will happen any time now. What is the antidote for a bad Tarot reading?
Your case is a prime example of why I don’t make “predictions”. So-called “100% accurate predictions” are ridiculous and create way more problems than they solve.
The antidote is simple:
- Stop worrying. The reading was just plain wrong – as predictions often are. As I understand the math of it, it is a good old fashioned coin toss whether any given individual prediction will come true or not. Even if you lump together every “prediction” a particular reader makes, the best psychics ever measured were only right about 70% of the time (slightly above the 50% of random probability) Could you die this year? Sure. No one is immortal. Will you die this year? I don’t know. No one knows. Even people diagnosed with terminal illnesses have surprised their doctors.
- Take charge – own your choices. Cause and effect is a real thing. The choices you make have consequences….good ones as well as bad. Choose and do the healthy things, and you reduce your chances of bad stuff happening. That includes mental and emotional health. Putting too much stock in something as uncertain and ephemeral as a Tarot reading is not a particularly mature or healthy choice to make.
There are a couple of other things to keep in mind:
- Self-fulfilling prophecies can happen. Don’t victimize yourself by getting wrapped up in the “prediction” to the point that you start making misguided decisions that create the very situation you are trying to avoid.
- Time passes: Conditions and energy flows that existed when the reading was done may have changed or disappeared by now. The reader may have been absolutely sincere, helpful, and “accurate” in what they saw at the time, but that doesn’t make it right now. Worrying about a years-old Tarot reading is like deciding whether you need an umbrella today based on years-old climate estimates. Read the post “100% Accurate Predictions and a Big Cube of Jello” to learn more.
- We are all connected: in addition to the energy environment at large changing, other people make their choices and choose their paths. That can create shifts in how things unfold for you, too.
Tarot is about:
- Helping you make good choices and make the most out of the things you can control and
- Helping you adapt, choose, react to and cope with the things that are not under your control. No matter what happens, there is one sure thing that you can always, always control…you. You can’t control everything around you, but you can control what you do in response to those circumstances and how you respond to the inner emotions that outer circumstances can cause.
The emperor card, and the king cards teach us aspects of those lessons. Tarot cards inform and inspire…not predict.
That being said…there isn’t anything in that old reading that needs an antidote. Whether the reading was “accurate” at the time or not doesn’t make one tiny dot of difference. The things you are learning about predictions and stepping up to your own destiny are far more important than whatever was or wasn’t said, what ever does or doesn’t “come true”. What you choose and do now is far more important and powerful than whatever was said back then. To paraphrase one of my favorite “Doctor Who” quotes.
[Right now] is [always] an opportunity. Whatever happens here will create its own timeline, its own reality, a temporal tipping point. The future revolves around you, here, now, so do good!